badge

Saturday 8 August 2015

Remembering Tagore on Baishe Shrabon


Today is Baishe Shrabon ( 22 Shravan which is the last month of the rainy season). This day is the death anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore, the poet, playwright, novelist, painter and composer who reshaped Bengali literature and music in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

“I came to your shore as a stranger.
I lived in your house as a guest.
I leave your door as a friend, my earth.” ~ Stray Birds


Being born in a Bengali family, I was exposed to Tagore’s work right from my childhood. From Rabindrasangeet to his poetries to his novels, Tagore has influenced me in every sphere of life and continues doing so.

His verses redefine love and pain in a thousand myriad hues. When you read Tagore, you feel that separation and love are so intertwined. There is separation in love and there is love in separation.

Away from the sight of thy face, my heart knows no rest nor respite, and my work becomes an endless toil in a shore less sea of toil.”~Gitanjali

Tagore’s life has been laced with pain throughout. He has seen more deaths and separations in his 80 year long life than anyone hardly have.There is a line in his short story, Postmaster that I read for the first time in class 10. This line brings out the truth of life that he has himself experienced.

“In the wistful heart of the traveler being borne away on the river, there arose this philosophy; there are so many separations in life, so many deaths, what is the point of returning? Who belongs to whom in this world?” ~ Postmaster

The person who had a significant influence on Tagore’s literary pursuit was his sister-in-law, Kadambari Devi. It is believed that she brought out the poet and writer hidden inside Tagore. After his sister-in-law’s sudden suicide, Tagore was shattered by the tragedy and that was when he wrote his most critically acclaimed novella, Nashtanir (Broken Nest).

Charu wants to ask Amal this question and receive an answer, face to face, but there is an ocean in between….and no way to cross it. Cruel separation, hapless separation, beyond all questions, beyond all redress, separation.” ~Broken Nest


The death of Kadambari Devi was the first tragic encounter of death that Tagore had. Later, he lost his wife, daughter, sons and only grandson to death and disease. He accepted the adversities and storms in his life with grace and continued delivering his literary geniuses year after year.

“The song that I came to sing remains unsung to this day. I have spent my days in stringing and unstringing my instrument” ~ Gitanjali

When W. B Yeats read Tagore’s poetry, he said that they have stirred sublime emotions in his blood.  Yeats said this in his introduction in Gitanjali. Tagore’s poetry covered every area of life. Such profound is his poetry that it can move even a stone. Tagore received the Nobel Prize in 1913 for Gitanjali (Song Offerings) which is a collection of his spiritual poems.

“Day by day you are making me worthy of your full acceptance by refusing me ever and anon, saving me from perils of weak, uncertain desire.”~ Gitanjali

Tagore, in his idealism, in his spiritual reality, in his romanticism is near to all human beings even today. His works are timeless, be it his novels or verses. 



Tagore wrote his last novel, Shesher Kavita (The last poem) when he was 62 during his brief sojourn in Bangalore. This novel, which is a beautiful concoction of prose and poem touches the inner chords.

“Grieve not on my account,
Wide is the world with many tasks
My cup is not discarded
Shall fill again---
Let this sustain me forever.
I may yet be blessed
If there be one eager heart
Waiting for my footsteps.
I long to give myself to him
Who can see in the compassion of love
The actual me, a blend of good and ill
Who can light up the dark night
With flowers plucked in moonlight.

What I gave to you is yours
By everlasting right.
What others receive
Are daily driblets of heart
To tender solitude.
O my peerless friend,
What I gave you was your own gift
Fuller acceptance, the deeper my debt.
Farewell, my friend.” ~ The Last Poem

My heartfelt respect to my inspiration, the inspiration of countless people, Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore on this significant day of Baishe Shrabon! 
Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers

32 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tribute Purba. I didn't know the death annv date. Felt really good reading all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Indrani. So glad you felt good reading the article :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely tribute Purba. With so much of creativity and philosophy packed in them, no wonder Tagore's works are invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly such a heartfelt tribute to the literary maestro. Each & every word of yours portray how beautifully you have been inspired by Tagore. Hats off, God bless dear! O:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. Wrote the post with all my admiration towards Tagore. Thank you so much. This is a wonderful compliment that will stay with me. God bless you too, darling :)

      Delete
  4. Jai Gurudev! Saadar Naman!...have no other words for a monumental personality like him!
    Great tribute Purba:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tribute..............................Tagore is still so relevant and contemporary...................unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I was discussing the same today. Tagore is still so contemporary. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  6. such a beautiful tribute :) i so want to visit tagore's house in kolkata :| someday with you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Sachin. Plan a visit to Kolkata :)

      Delete
  7. An awesome article about the father of Bengali literature. Although, I can't read Bengali, but I'm very fond of his literary work. I've read only a couple of stories in my childhood and have had not understood the inner meaning of the stories. But, I'm gonna start reading his work anon.

    Could you suggest me something of his works which have been translated into English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Subham, you can read The Last Poem, The Grains of Sand (Chokher Bali), Gora and Broken Nest. These novels and novellas are available in wonderful English translations. Plus his short stories and poetries are also available in English.
      Glad that you liked the article. Thanks :)

      Delete
  8. Personally speaking to really understand Tagore one should know how to read in Bengali & be one to understand him deeply...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Everyone cannot understand Tagore. You need to have that depth in yourself to understand the inner meaning of his writings.

      Delete
  9. He has influenced my life too, in fact everybody's. The reason being National Anthem, which i proudly sing during Cricket Matches.

    I can feel your emotions for him and i hope his teachings give your calmness and love in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Alok. He has influenced the lives of everyone. Thanks :)

      Delete
  10. Glad to stumble here and read about Tagore. He is a national treasure and works are priceless gems:)

    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful tribute to great poet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely tribute to him, Purba. His quotes are evergreen with dimensions of insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ravish. So true, his quotes are full of wisdom :)

      Delete
  13. Lovely sayings and lines captured from his work. a nice ode too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent quotes of Tagore.. Thanks for sharing, Purba!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tagore defines the modern bengali culture and your love for his writings can be seen in the post...it's a blessing to be born as a bengali as you grow up hearing rabindra sangeet and learning about his books. Great post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Gaurab. I feel blessed that I can read and understand Bengali and so I don't have to rely on the translations of his works. Thanks a lot :)

      Delete
  16. So glad that you are bringing Tagore to the notice of the world again

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice Article.

    Please have a look at my
    Find your best SMS to send your friends and family from our vast collection of SMS, Jockes, Shayari, Quotes. Best SMS collection ever.

    Fun4youth.com
    Best SMS
    Best Jokes
    Best Shayari
    Golden Inspiriotional quotes
    Double Meaning Jokes
    Whatsapp status
    Facbook Status

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)